Beef Barley Soup
Again, is it a stew or a soup? Whatever it is, its hearty and filling and one of my favourites! For gluten free alternative try using quinoa or buckwheat in place of the barley.
- 1 brown onion
- 2 sticks of celery – cut in half lengthways and roughly chopped
- 2 carrots – peeled, cut in quarters lengthways and cut into large chunks
- 80g pearl barley
- 400g tinned of chopped tomatoes
- 700ml beef stock or bone broth
- 1 tbsp flour (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- 400g stewing steak – diced
- Place a saucepan over medium heat and place the 2 tbsp olive oil
- Add the diced beef and the flour
- Season with salt and pepper
- Cook the beef until browned and then remove form the pan with a slotted spoon
- Add in 2tbsp olive oil
- Add the onions and celery and sweat for 10 minutes
- Add the carrots and sweat for a further 5 minutes
- Add the pearl barley and stir for 1 minute
- Add the tinned tomatoes, bay leaf & stock and return the beef to the pan.
- Stir the ingredients, bring to a boil, then simmer for 25 minutes or until pearl barley is cooked.
- Remove from the heat and serve immediately!