Chicken with olives and peppers
A scrumptious, flavoursome, protein rich meal. Moroccan flavours go perfectly with chicken.
- 2 chicken pieces with their skin on (thighs, legs or breast)
- 1 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 red peppers, de-seeded and chopped lengthwise
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 50g of pitted green/black olives (either a mix of both or whichever you prefer)
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 60ml ( 2 fl oz) olive oil
- ½ lemon juice, squeezed.
- Pre-heat the slow cooker.
- Cook the onions with a tablespoon of olive in, in a frying pan until golden, add the garlic, coriander and cumin, season, stir and cook for a further two minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Add the chicken to the pan with a tablespoon of olive oil if needed, and brown the chicken.
- Once browned add the chicken in the slow cooker with the seasoned onions, peppers, tomatoes, olives and lemon juice.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8hrs or high 3-4 hrs.
- Serve with celeriac mash (see recipe below), peas and broad beans.
- Slice ½ celeriac into 1” cubes (don’t use the very bottom of the celeriac).
- Cook in a pan over a high heat, with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, season and add 1 clove of crushed garlic and a teaspoon of dried thyme (or fresh if you have it).
- Fry for about five minutes.
- Turn the heat down to low and add two tablespoons of water and simmer for about 15-20 minutes until it’s tender. Add more water if necessary (don’t let it go dry or burn). Once soft, mash and serve.