Chickpeas, tomatoes & spinach
Satisfying and tasty. This salad is brimming full of wholesome goodness. The spinach is high in iron and folate whilst the tomatoes are high in vitamin c which aids the absorption of iron. In addition, the chickpeas are a super nourishing source of protein and fibre.
- 200g chickpeas (tinned)
- 150g (5 oz) spinach
- 1 small garlic clove (crushed)
- Sea salt
- Ground black pepper
- 6 tomatoes on the vine
- Olive oil
- ½ small red onion, peeled and sliced into thin rings.
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp allspice
- Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6.
- Place the tomatoes in a roasting tray and make a small incision in each tomato. Drizzle the olive oil over the tomatoes & lightly season.
- Roast for around 20 minutes, until the tomatoes have softened.
- Toss the drained chickpeas in the cumin and allspice.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan and over a low heat, fry them gently for 2-3 minutes, moving them so they don’t stick together.
- Keep warm.
- When the tomatoes are nearly cooked.
- Start to prepare the other ingredients.
- Cook the spinach in boiling water for one minute and drain well and squeeze out any moisture.
- Chop it finely and season.
- Add the chickpeas to the onions, garlic and tomatoes (taken off the vine) once cooked into a bowl and drizzle with olive oil and serve.