Green Goddess Soup
Why go green? Children and adults go crazy for this magnificent soup, and it would certainly be Popeye’s first choice! Green, leafy vegetables are well known to be high in potassium and vitamin K precisely what your body needs to keep muscles working and blood streaming.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion
- 1 head of broccoli – cut into florets
- A handful of kale
- A handful of spinach
- 1 potato – peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 litre vegetable stock or chicken stock
- ½ can of chickpeas
- 50ml coconut milk
- salt & pepper to taste
- crème fraiche to serve (optional)
- Peel and roughly dice the brown onion.
- Place a saucepan onto low heat and add the olive oil.
- Place the onions in the pan and sweat for 10 minutes, ensuring that they don’t colour.
- Add the chopped broccoli, and sweat again for 4 – 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock, kale, spinach and potato.
- Bring to the boil then simmer for 25 – 30 minutes, or until the potato is soft, then add the chickpeas.
- Remove the pan from the heat & blend.
- Add the coconut milk
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. If its slightly to thick add more coconut milk until the right consistency.
To serve, I topped it with a teaspoon of crème fraiche and rye croutons.