Quinoa and chickpea salad with pomegranite & mint
Quinoa is packed full of essential nutrients and antioxidants and is particularly useful for balancing our blood sugar. Recently quinoa has become a hugely popular food amongst health seekers as it is easy to digest and a good source of high quality protein and fibre. Chickpeas are also a good source of protein and are rich in iron and B vitamins which makes them a good replacement for meat. The subtle sweetness from the pomegranate and the freshness of the mint make this one of my favourite salads and it keeps me full for hours. For more information about the health benefits of pomegranate check out this great article. Enjoy!
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 a large shallot, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 3 cups cooked quinoa (from 1 cup uncooked)
- 1 stalk celery, in 1/4 -inch dice
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- In a large bowl, combine the lemon juice, shallot, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and let stand while you pull together the rest of the dish.
- Add the quinoa, chickpeas, celery, pomegranate, and mint.
- Toss together.
- Taste for seasoning and add remaining salt and pepper, or maybe lemon juice, if needed.
- Serve at room temperature or place in an airtight container and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- If serving from the refrigerator, let it sit for a few minutes to shake off the chill – this salad is best at room temp.