Spinach tomato and chickpea frittata
This is a great weekend brunch dish, when you have a bit more time to spare and want something more substantial but still healthy. Packed full of protein from the eggs, chickpeas and cheese, iron from the spinach and Vitamins A&C from the tomatoes, to name but a few it will set you up for the rest of the day and keep those hunger pangs at bay. Leave out the feta cheese if you prefer a dairy free option. Or add in some more vegetables to increase your daily intake.
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 200g fresh spinach
- 1 tsp cumin
- pinch cayenne pepper
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 50g approx feta cheese
- 100g tinned chickpeas
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 200ml water
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened.
- Add the chickpeas and spices and cook for a further 2 minutes, add a little more oil if needed.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for about 10 minutes until softened
- Add in the spinach and cover with a lid so it wilts. If necessary add a couple of tablespoons of water. This will only take a couple of minutes.
- With a spatula make space in the mixture for the eggs and crack an egg into each one.
- Season and cook for around 7 minutes depending on how runny you like them but making sure the whites are cooked.
- Crumble over the feta cheese and serve or place in a hot oven for a few minutes to bake.