Rice Flour (Gluten Free) Pancakes & Healthy toppings
These rice flour (gluten free) pancakes are similar to a normal pancake but with gluten free flour. They are best cooked as a thin layer in the pan, so spread the batter thinly in the pan (or pancake hot plate as we used).
It’s so tempting to stick to the standard flavours for toppings (like Nutella, banana, sugar and lemon or jam). We’ve gone bold, bright, full of unusual flavours and of course healthy along the way too. Why not give them a try and jazz up your breakfast, lunch or evening meal with these.
- Spinach, ricotta and garlic mushrooms.
- Cream of horseradish, smoked salmon, lime juice and dill.
- Tahini, sliced dates and raspberries and cacao powder (sprinkled on top)
- Almond butter, banana and pomegranate seeds
- Beetroot hummus, sauerkraut, (cucumber, radish and chives to garnish)
- Guacamole and red chilli garnish.
Makes: 10 pancakes approx
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 195g rice flour
- 2 organic eggs
- 400ml milk (any plant based milk is fine too – we used coconut milk)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch of sea salt
- 10 inch non-stick frying pan (or pancake hot plate as we used)
- Butter or oil to lightly coat the pan when cooking the pancakes (we used odourless coconut oil)
- Place the rice flour and small pinch sea salt into a large mixing bowl and make an area in the centre for the eggs to be cracked into. Once the eggs are cracked, mix together.
- Gradually pour in the milk stirring constantly to avoid any creating lumps.
- Add the extra virgin olive oil.
- Once all the ingredients are incorporated the consistency should be like a smooth.
- Heat and lightly oil the frying pan over medium/high heat.
- Pour the batter onto the centre of the pan and tilt the pan with a circular motion so that the batter coats the surface with a thin and even layer.
- Cook the pancake for approx. 2 minutes, until the bottom is golden, then using a spatula underneath the pancake, flip it over to cook the other side.
- Once lightly golden on both sides your pancakes are ready to eat.
Method for toppings:
Spinach, ricotta and garlic mushrooms:
Gently sautée approx. 4 sliced mushrooms in a frying pan with oil and crushed clove of garlic. Once browned, stir in a tbsp. of ricotta and a handful of spinach to wilt.
Cream of horseradish, smoked salmon, lime juice and dill:
Place a tsp. of the horseradish on the pancake, then arrange the smoked salmon, add a squeeze of lime and garnish with dill.
Tahini, sliced dates and raspberries and cacao powder (sprinkled on top):
Place a tbsp. of tahini on the pancake then add chopped dates, fresh raspberries and a dusting of cacao powder on the top.
Almond butter, banana and pomegranate seeds:
Place a tbsp. of almond butter on the pancake then add chopped banana and pomegranate seeds top.
Beetroot hummus, sauerkraut, (cucumber, radish and chives to garnish):
Place a tbsp. of beetroot hummus and 2 tsp. sauerkraut on the pancake. Garnish with cucumber, radish and chives (or any salad you prefer).
Guacamole and red chilli garnish:
See our guacamole recipe on the blog to make this topping.